Thursday, July 21, 2011

New York Highlights Day 3

We started the day out by jogging about 6-7 miles around central park. Our GPS died after 4 miles so I don't know exactly. That was a memory and a great way to see Central Park. We passed the "boat house", the statue of "Alice in Wonderland", and were two of thousands of people running/walking/biking. We started on the middle of the west side, and circled all the way to the top NW corner following the main jogging path. Such a memory. I could have gone longer because we were at sea level and the air was so nice, but we were anxious to get going.
Phillip is standing by one of many Picassos
You can see every brush stroke by Van Gough's "Starry Night"!
This is Matisse... I would love this for my living room
Blurry picture because it was taken with my camera phone, but I'm standing in front of a painting I've loved for a long time...Water Lillies by Monet. The room had a huge bench that was pack with people, yet you could hear a pin drop. It was almost reverent.

We went to the museum of modern art called the "MODA". It was incredible! We could only spend one hour here, but I could have spent half a day. We saw originals from some of my favorite artists...Van Gough, Matisse, Monet, and Picasso. I'm so giddy happy you can tell by my smile.
We went to the Late Show with David Letterman. I was dissapointed. I would have rather explored the city more. The guest was Chaz Bono, weird. By this point, I was sick of being on TV shows and feeling liked used cattle. It takes up too much time. The only thing cool about it was that it is the Ed Sullivan theater where the Beatles played.
I was super hungry so we found a great little Italian place to eat in the Theater District. You can't really go wrong with restaurants with New York, they are all delicious. After dinner, we went to see "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying". Daniel Radcliffe was amazing. You would have no clue he is British. He put some serious energy and soul into his part. Jon Laraquette was okay, I was just excited to see "Dan" from Night Court. Great music, so-so story, amazing costumes and set.

Afterward we weren't tired yet, so we explored the city at night time and walked several blocks to the Empire State Building. We rode the Metro a ton, so it was night to see the city on foot. The Empire SB is open to like 2am or something so it was the perfect thing to do after a show.
The Empire State Building was a highlight for me. We really enjoyed the audio tour and the art deco details everywhere. It is such a landmark full of history and class. Being on the top and looking out at the city was breathtaking. It was very quiet at the top, almost a reverence filled the air. Very romantic. Such a memory for me and Phillip. If you go to New York, you must go, and I suggest at night.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Looks like an amazing trip! Glad you guys were able to get away and have fun!

Andy and Kimi said...

Fun to see the highlights of your trip! Miss you guys- we should plan something soon.